Friday, February 22, 2013

NZ Fringe Festival #1

Wheels of Justice 

Group devised piece. You get to ride your bike through Wellington, all around the little side streets and alley-ways. The show follows a murder-mystery formula where groups led by 'cops' try and piece together the puzzle of two different deaths. The first of a prominent council member; the second of a young street artist. This was the first time I've actually ridden my bike around Wellington and it blimmin ruled. The show had a few problems at the start - trying to get lots of people sorted out with bikes (you can hire them). I felt like I was in a CSI/Castle/SVU video game and seeing as those crime shows are my guilty pleasure I felt pretty ecstatic all the way through. 




A Play About Space

Written and directed by Uther Dean. (About space obviously). Deconstructed so you see the props being used in straight up DIY fashion. The humour came from the ingenuity in which the props were used eg. talking into a fan to make a computer voice. Also great performances especially from Paul Waggott who ran around ceaselessly on stage in an array of different characters. This was a really fun watch.




Home / The Hilarious Comedy about How I Nearly Killed Myself / A Play About How I Nearly Killed Myself But Didn't And Then Learned A Lot About Life Afterwards

Written and performed by Freya Desmarais, directed by Penny Lawrence. I saw this last night. I really liked it. Freya Desmarais performs alone on stage and shares with the audience not only how she nearly killed herself, but how she thought and felt and how it maybe effected those close to her. There's also sex and love and lots of boxes. She mentions she isn't a stellar performer and I like that, I like the conversational tone, the imperfections of the piece which mainly boiled down to not being able to hear her at times. It's still very theatrical with sound design and projections and dream-like sequences. It makes a nice balance to the otherwise very colloquial chat. It's funny as well which is great because depression is funny. Wouldn't it be hilarious if depression plays became a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment