Sunday, January 29, 2012

doom patrol by grant morrison

Been getting a lot of comics out of the library lately. Wellington library is the best thing and one of the reasons I moved actually (not even kidding). I liked reading The Invisibles which was by Grant Morrison as well. I got out The Filth at the same time as Doom Patrol. I liked them both more than The Invisibles I think. 

Doom Patrol is originally by Arnold Drake. From the silver age of comics, I read, which is something like 1956-1970 (says wikipedia). Morrison kinda just bought into the trade I guess. I haven't read the original doom patrol comics but I've gathered this kind of thing happens a lot with the whole DC/Marvel thing (Doom Patrol is DC). 

This is called: The Painting that Ate Paris. It's really good because it's about this apocalyptic painting of a painting of a painting of a painting and so on. The baddies get hold of the painting and want it to eat up the whole world. The doom patrol and the baddies get sucked into it and every level of the painting reflects a different art movement: impressionism, expressionism, cubism, surrealism etc. There's this big force shaped like a horse that gets stronger and stronger in the painting (too strong for everyone to deal with) except for this one girl called Jane (part of the doom patrol) who has multiple personalities. I really liked how she had all these different characters. I think everyone has that in some way. I think I definitely do like that one time where I had an alter-ego called Leonora Noir which now sounds like some lame-ass burlesque stripper name but is actually a combination of Leonora Carrington and film noir (so so lame). Anyway, I've done away with her and now there are just alternative me's with varying degrees of aggression. 

The baddies in the book were cool too. The leader was called Mr Nobody and he was just an abstract black shape. Another baddy was asleep whenever she had to fight. She was called Sleepwalker. 

The art was cool too. Different perspectives and stuff which was kind of disconcerting but in a good way (complemented the narrative etcetc). Sometimes the art was really frightening and sharp, other times it was soft and dreamy. There was also this weird narration that was confusing to figure out where it was coming from. I liked it though. I understood it as being like some 'higher power' or unconscious or like a meta-fictional nod to comics on a whole like the comic was talking at me simultaneously conversing with me but also reminding me that I am reading a book and it's not real. I dunno. All of Grant Morrison's work seems really philisophical too. There was a lot about Freud and Descartes. Seemed a bit ambiguous which side of the fence he was on though. Left a lot of unanswered questions/vague statements about all of that stuff. Pretty cool though. Seems like to really 'get it' though I will have to read earlier doom patrol comics. Just to get a better picture of the characters, the history etc.

3 comments:

  1. grant morrison fucken rules. i like the invisibles the mostest. you should check out seven soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will!

    i only read 'say you want a revolution'. i should read more invisibles. i guess it's best to keep reading the series until the end. hard with comics though to find where they start/end. i just couldn't find apocalipstick anywhere. will try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just installed iStripper, so I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete