Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Best Behaviour by Noah Cicero

This is the best book I've read in a while. Jackson lent it to me. I read The Human War which is also by Noah Cicero, his first book, and this is his latest one. I liked THW a lot and I read interviews with him on the internet where he talked about how Best Behavior was the hardest book he's written because he had to get in the minds of lots of different people. It was really evident in the minds of like Tom and Petra in the book I think. I liked the different settings, how Benny goes from Youngstown to New York and the different people in those places. The places are described in this sort of honest, matter of fact way. He talks about the absurdity of life and I really liked that described in this honest way, like that's how life is and there is no use contesting it, just accept it. It was kinda defeatist I suppose. But good. Throughout the book was a political and philosophical commentary, which I guess is like Noah Cicero's 'thing'. I thought about how I have identified with being a sad person or a happy person, and actually I'm both. Or neither. Just a person/thing. Trying to be really happy all the time is depressing and so when I feel sad I've been feeling like a failure or dishonest or something. Not anymore though yeahyeahyeah. In saying that I hardly get sad anymore. That's pretty cool. Until I do and that's okay too. Jackson and I have a thing where when we get sad we say 'that is pretty funny' so being sad ends up being hilarious. Also in this book the characters change and Benny's (Benny is the main guy) relationship with them changes and it's so interesting and natural. Yeah. I think Noah Cicero is one of the best writers atm.

3 comments:

  1. nice review, I also love this book

    ReplyDelete
  2. IM INTERESTED IN HEARING YOUR THOUGHT ON The Insurgent ONCE YOUVE READ THAT

    ReplyDelete