I read this a while ago but I remember being excited about it after reading Awkward and Definition and writing a post about it so I should probably write something about the sequel as well. I really really enjoyed this comic. Ariel Schrag's drawing changes/has evolved a lot since Awkward and Definition. Potential is still in the same style and the same form, but there are these dream sequences that A&D doesn't have. The artwork gets fucking cool. Or it's just different. I think I prefer the artwork that is not the dream sequences; still more cartoon-y (I am bad at describing stuff I don't know much about) but it's nice to see how she experiments I suppose. Potential is a lot more sexier as one would expect from a 16 year old (I dunno, would you expect that???) and it is really sweet to see her fall in love with people and I dunno just deal with relationships. I want to deal with relationships like Ariel Schrag.
Some things that happen in the book:
- Ariel Schrag has a boyfriend
- Ariel Schrag gets a girlfriend called Sally
- Ariel Schrag loses her virginity to a boy
- She also loses her virginity to a girl (it's hard to tell which one happens first because she thinks at the time that it only counts when it is to a boy but maybe her views re. that have changed now, I dunno)
- Ariel Schrag is still really good at science
- Heaps of girls and boys like Ariel Schrag
- She makes new friends
- Ariel Schrag goes to gigs
- The terms 'butch' and 'femme' come up and I think Ariel Schrag is nervous about categorization
- Ariel Schrag is particular about clothes.
- Ariel Schrag does not want to be the one to initiate sex all the time despite having a much higher sex drive than Sally, her partner
Usually I buy books from the Book Depository. Currently Likewise is 'unavailable' though. Likewise is the last book in this trilogy. It's a really big book too. I'm excited to read it. Another thing I did was email the woman who made the Ariel Schrag documentary because I wanted to buy a copy but she hasn't emailed me back. Seems like a bummer. My buddy Benjamin King commented on my last post with this link here. It's to her website. People should look at it if they want/didn't see it before.