Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Norwegian Wood (2010)

Directed by Tran Anh Hung
Starring Ken'ichi Matsuyama, Rinko Kikuchi, Kiko Mizuhara

 

 I saw this on Saturday too. After Cave of Forgotten Dreams. A big group of us went. Like 29 people or something. Heaps. I was excited about this. While we were waiting for people to come I went up to the candy bar and said that I work at Hoyts Riccarton and would I be able to get snacks for cheap. I didn't think I would be able to because I am not on the system yet (probably never) but the staff were really nice and let me get snacks for cheap!! So I got popcorn and sprite and a butterscotch ice cream. I was thoroughly happy. The happy was just oozing out of me. The happy was dripping all over the floor and making a big mess. 

I didn't really 'feel' this film or whatever. I dunno. I guess that's the hard thing about adapting a book for the screen. I think the problem was that maybe it tried to be too honest to the book and didn't necessarily capture the essence of the novel. I dunno. That sounds kinda dumb. But I think it was maybe Truffaut (maybe. that is probably wrong though and I can't be bothered looking it up right now) that said something about films based on books shouldn't necessarily include all the events that occurred but the feelings evoked. That was generally the gist of the french new wave or at least the young critics' (from the cahier du cinema) ideas about all that in the beginning.  When I watched this film that's what I thought about anyway. 

I thought that all the beginning stuff went too quickly. Like Naoko and Watanabe's relationship with Kizuko wasn't developed enough or something. I felt like I didn't really care when Kizuko killed himself. Or the only thing I cared about was that that scene was really detailed. A lot more than I expected it to be. I think that was a deliberate decision though and seemed interesting. I dunno if it really worked though. 

Real hot cast.
There was a lot of sex. Which was expected. But man. Jesus. Was pretty hot. Considering how attractive the whole cast was. But when W did it with Reiko I rolled my eyes and didn't really look. 
It was nice though and I liked anticipating things that I knew were coming up. The film didn't go into the whole Reiko 'shebang' though. I can kinda see why though. That would have made it pretty cluttered or something. Best to keep it to W fucking loads of babes the whole time, right?

Midori wears cute hairclips and has cute hair/clothes/dates
My favourite is/was Midori. She is/was v pretty/cool and had cool togs.

Also I liked the clothes. Seem cool. I was inspired or something and then I realised I could never look that cute. 

Pretty scenery. 

Snow. Could relate to that.

Getting half a bag of Maltesers afterwards. Real good. 

I still got pretty 'into' the movie though. But it's hard to decide whether knowing the book is a good thing or not to determine how well the film is received. I think maybe yes, because the book is the original. I think the trick with films based on books is to try and let them stand on their own feet though. I dunno. Just my opinion.

1 comment: