Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Campervan Adventure cont...

 After we had pasted all up around Mangaweka (it was hot work) we went for another swim in the river and continued on our way. SH1 didn't know what hit it. With us we brought some rain and a slightly chilly wind but in  a fresh and thirst quenching way with love and kindness like giving a baby a nipple after a tantrum. We went to more opshops on the way - originally we had planned to drive to Foxton and stay there the night but we thought it'd be better just to go straight to Wellington so we didn't have to rush to get the ferry. Still couldn't find any denim bucket hats.  Foxton looked great. Really want to go back to Foxton. There is a beach there and friendly people, a windmill which makes stone ground flour and a fizzy drink factory. Pretty much all you need in a town. I fantasised all the way to Wellington about going there for another trip and even living there eventually. That was in-between talking to Joe about the education system in NZ and some school-yard experiences and how we think children should be raised/educated. He has some pretty strong views regarding that which I was glad about and found rather coincidental because a couple of days previous I thought about how I would want my 'IF' children to be raised and educated compared and contrasted to how I was raised/educated as I tried to go to sleep. I've often thought about whether it was a good idea for my parents to choose the private school route for primary-intermediate and then public for high school.  Smaller class size was definitely beneficial for me because I was always a loner and shy and had low self confidence and would have probably been forgotten about in a public school system. I needed to be told a lot that I was doing well and this made me want to keep doing better. Also at a private school there is more money (this is the only reason parents send their children to private schools). Obviously with more financing the private schools can buy more things/offer more/(better)? opportunities to their students. While I only partly agree with this, in my experience I certainly was surrounded by more technological opportunities in the form of sweet macs, sweet science lab, sweet kitchen, sweet class trips and a mean as library. The library was important for me because I had no friends. Bad things about being privately educated was there were too many rules, sameness was encouraged way too much, religious aspects were milked and not committed to so was really half-assed/kinda confusing for the students as to why we were learning all this stuff about Jesus -who we really only just coloured in our activity books- when none of the teachers pushed any Christian principles in class outside of religious studies. (I suppose there was a requirement somewhere along the line which meant the school got so much $$ for so many hours of RE or something sort of offensive like that). Eventually RE was dropped from our curriculum. Too many boring events and assemblies telling us how to talk/dress, too many schmoozy events for rich parents to show off to each other, not enough learning about national and international history, absolutely no Maori language studies although we did an 'Indigenous People' topic on the Incas??? A stupid language system which was French and Spanish every six months - should have been Maori instead the whole way or at least just one language or a choice. No choices. No independence although that's what they believed they were 'disciplining' us in. It was a really sheltered way to be educated and I'm glad I got to go to a public high school because rich kids are annoying most of the time and mean and spoilt and don't care about things and have no idea about how anyone else lives but themselves. Joe and I concluded I think that emphasis should be placed on the parents to teach their kids stuff and children should get more of a say in their learning too. 

 When we got to Wellington we parked on Oriental Parade and met up with Joe's friend Tobias and his girlfriend who was studying criminal law. They were both very lovely and there were lots of xmas decorations and I got a biscuit. Afterwards we had a nap/dinner and went for a walk all around the city and Joe talked about a sweet idea for free internet. It was interesting but pretty overwhelming because I was really tired and the change in scenery from countryside to big city with people and concrete and glass paralyzed me. We also got a piece of pie from Sweet Momma's Kitchen. I got peanut butter and Joe got key-lime. Yum and definitely better than eating peanut butter out of the jar but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing that when people aren't looking. We went to bed and hugged real tight. 

  The next day we had to get on the ferry but first we went pasting and to Te Papa:









On the ferry. Had to use my hands as a brush.. 
 The boat ride was pretty rough and Joe felt ill so went to be cold outside because that makes him feel better. I read some Richard Brautigan outside and then went into the cafe and sat next to a boy who was asleep even though there was a giant black V can in front of him. 

Joe feels sick and looks beautiful.
 After we got to Picton we drove to find somewhere to stay the night. We were looking for Delaware Bay but I'm not sure if this exists? It's on the map but not in real life. I wanted some sea real bad. We found a little turn off to Cable Bay which was 4km that way >>>> and followed the narrow road over the hill down to the bay. It was the most beautiful place I've ever seen and reminded me of a Katherine Mansfield story called At the Bay. Little rabbits jumped along the road. 

There was another couple next to us who stayed the night too.

Joe skimmed lots of rocks and 'won the most points'.
We walked along the rocks and got our bums bitten in the long drop toilet by sandflies. Ate some more cabin bread too. In the morning we went swimming and my health levels rose all the way up. It was like being administered a super potion. Or revive even. But also like being hit with an ice punch straight after. Kind of unlucky but this place really was the Indigo Plateau of our adventure.








Bad as light but my camera ran out of batteries before we could take another.

On the way back over the hill there were more rabbits and goats goats and goats frolicking everywhere climbing up the hillside. I laughed and laughed and laughed and the sun came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment