Saturday, December 11, 2010

I know that a lot of poems by poets particularly in
New Zealand
Have a lot of imagery regarding the landscape
Or the seasons or the weather.
The feeling of cold toes on hot rocks
Jagged and jutting out in-
To flesh.

I know that a lot of the time they talk about the
Unification of people and culture
Like going to Te Papa and feeling the Pounamu
And calling it that instead of
Greenstone
And feeling so proud of their heritage
And hoping that their children and grandchildren can swim in the public school pool too.
The fears that they express for the future will only encourage
Not hinder
Their longing for the land.

I know that I could add a
‘but’
After all of this
In some futile attempt of re-definition-  
And severance from ‘popular New Zealand poetry’

But I don’t want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment